Wednesday, March 11, 2009

More Adventures in Cooking

I wanted to make banana bread last weekend. I REALLY wanted to make banana bread last weekend the way only a pregnant or nursing mother wants a specific food. I had three ripe bananas and walnuts, so the only thing stopping me was my lack of white flour. I had some, yes, but was it enough to make banana bread?

But wait! I had a whole bag of whole wheat flour! Surely the moistness of the bananas could overcome the dry nature of whole wheat flour and make a good bread, right? I got online and found that yes, indeed, whole wheat banana bread is easy and good. There were a LOT of recipes to choose from, so as usual, I picked the best parts of each and combined them into MY recipe.

Whole Wheat Banana Bread

3 large bananas, over-ripe and mashed
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1/4 C molasses
1/4 C honey
1/4 C sugar (white or brown)
1/4 C oil
1 1/2C whole wheat flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C nuts

Mix the moist ingredients together until blended. Mix the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the moist and fold them in just until moistened. Do not over mix. Allow batter to rest for 15 minutes.

Spray a loaf pan with cooking oil, add batter. Bake for 45-50 minutes at 350F. Toothpick will be clean when done.

************************************

Our other culinary experience to share with you:

MEATLOAF MOUNTAINS
Chad says I am never to make meatloaf again. I must always make meat muffins... ie Meatloaf Mountains. I can't take credit for this recipe as it's not mine. BUT I can take credit for introducing it to you.

Meatloaf Mountains
1lb ground beef or turkey
2 eggs
1 package of dry soup mix, vegetable flavor
1 squirt ketchup (about a tablespoon)
15 saltines, crushed
2-4 servings of instant mashed potatoes, cooked according to package instructions.

Mix all but the potatoes together. Spray the cups of a muffin tin and divide the meat mixture amongst the cups. Cook at 350F for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and divide the potatoes amongst the cups, making peaks on top of the meatloaf. Return to the oven for 10 more minutes.

Everyone in the family loves them and they are completely toddler-friendly as far as cooking goes. So quick and easy!!!

2 comments:

3palermosplusone said...

I love your meatloaf mountains! I finally got B to eat meatloaf! And I am patiently waiting for my bananas to over ripe to try your banana bread recipe :)

TheCraftyQueen said...

:O) I'm so glad B liked the mountains. They're pretty neat and I bet they'd freeze well for quick single meals. I'm going to try that this week.