Friday, November 18, 2011

The Many Faces of .... um.... Squirrel

True to my promise, I have been cooking up all the wild game that my husband has been bringing home from the hunt.  True to myself, I have really been trying to like it.  Mentally, I'm fine with it. Eating it, though, has been a bit more of a challenge.  I've always been a squeamish eater.  I don't like seafood.  At all.  I don't find it comforting to eat outside of my comfort zone.  It's a darn miracle that I love tofu.  But I was and am determined to gain a taste for wild game meat.

So far, I've tried cooking squirrel 4 different ways.  My kids have eaten every single recipe without any more complaint than they give any meal, so I know it must be at least palatable. And yet I still find myself uneasy with the squirrel.  So far, I have tried:

Squirrel Stew
Squirrel Crock Pot Stew.  This recipe was edible but not delicious.  Undoubtedly, it was recipe error, not user error.  It was plain and basic and the little I did to perk it up wasn't enough.


Squirrel Curry








Tofu and Squirrel Curry.  This one was sure to please, I thought.  How can it not be good, chopped up and smothered in coconut milk and strong spices?  WRONG!  The tofu was great, but the boiled squirrel had a horrible texture.

Squirrel McNuggets.  This one was a definite improvement.  I deboned it, breaded it, and pan fried it up with chicken pieces.  Served with a multitude of dipping sauces, my youngest found it irresistable and asked for seconds.

Squirrel with Pan-Fried Noodles
Squirrel McNuggets
Squirrel and Pan-Fried Noodles.  Pan-fried noodles with green peppers, olives, garlic, and butter have long been a comfort food favorite of mine.  This was, in my opinion, the best way to hide the squirrel.  I'll admit it. I'll do anything for olives, butter, and garlic!

Still, though, I'm not quite there yet. I have to find a way to separate the critter from its bones in a way that does not involve either boiling water or 2 hours and a sharp knife.  I'm stumped, I tell you.  It must be time to return to the crock pot.

My husband says I'm not good at cooking meats to begin with, so I'm not to lose heart.  Never-the-less, he's volunteered to cook up the next batch of squirrels that come home with him.  I'm honest enough to admit that I'm relieved.  maybe I'll find it more edible if I don't spend 4 hours cooking it.

1 comment:

Blogger said...

3 Studies PROVE How Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

The meaning of this is that you literally get rid of fat by consuming Coconut Fat (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from large medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!