Thursday, June 17, 2010

Cook Ahead, round 2

Last weekend I embarked upon round 2 of the cook-ahead lifestyle. This time, I invited my next door neighbor over to share the joy.

Really, truly, I do not say that sarcastically. We did share the joy. For $66 each and 3 hours of work (including diaper changes, napping babies, answering phones, and playing with the kids) we each came away with 8 meals for our freezers. And by "meals" I mean recipes because each recipe will provide 2-4 meals for our family of four.

So if we assume that each recipe feeds our family twice, then we got 16 meals out of $66. that's $4 per meal or $1 per serving. I can smile about that one!

We cooked this round from the Once a Month Cooking: More Family Favorites again. However, instead of simply using her pre-planned cycles, I picked the recipes that I thought we would be most likely to eat. It worked out just fine.

I also invested in The Freezer Cooking Manual from 30 Day Gourmey: A Month of Meals Made Easy. It arrived after we had finished our cooking but after perusing it quickly, I'm pleased with the investment. Not only is it chock full of workbook-style pages for making your planning process easier, but it comes with free membership to a website FULL of additional recipes and fora. Yay!

Even better, we've been informed that we're inheriting a stand-alone freezer! It is scheduled to arrive on Saturday. We couldn't be happier about it! Maybe for round 3, we'll tackle 30 recipes and each have a full month's worth of dinners in the freezer...

No comments: