Friday, May 7, 2010

Dear God

Every night before falling asleep, my daughter starts her prayers with, "Dear God," and then continues to list out who she loves and is grateful for. My husband and I decided long ago that the easiest way to teach about praying was to start with who you love. As she gets older, I hope to start including other items and less tangible aspects of life for which she can thank God.

While thinking about National Prayer Day yesterday, I realized that I have a lot to be thankful for this year. My life has really come about 180 degrees over the last 4-5 months and I need to make sure that I take none of it for granted.

Dear God,

Thank you for:

my family: both near and far, and the special roles they play in my life. My life would not have half the joy in it without them.

my job: it may be unexciting, but it's steady and comes with great benefits and allows me a good amount of time with my family.

my husband's job: A new job has gone a long way to helping both him and us in so many ways. I am grateful for the new level of confidence and self-worth the new job has brought. And yes, the added income doesn't hurt.

my home: I may be currently houseless, but I am not homeless. Thank you to everyone involved in our recent move and soon-to-be-ours new home. We weren't looking for a shift in dwelling space but were wise enough to say yes to the opportunity when it came knocking. Thank you Grandpa and Grandma for wanting us to have your home. Thank you to my in-laws for helping orchestrate it all and for keeping on top of things so that everyone is getting the good end of the deal.

my belongings: I have more than what I need and am seeing the value in having less. Cleaning out the new house has been a good lesson in material goods and their proper place in our lives. We may have a long way to go to get down to what we really need to own, but we're moving in the right direction.

my health, my family's health: We have had a relatively smooth winter this year and I greatly appreciate that. I also appreciate the traumatizing brush we had with the stomach flu this winter for reminding me of the true value of our health.

my security net: friends, family, you know who you are and how important you are to us. Knowing that you're there for us has made it possible for us to take the leaps of faith necessary to bring us to where we are now.

my good fortune: we may not be rich, but the things we need have fallen to us when we needed them most. We do not go without.

my life: a gift well-appreciated.

Amen.

No comments: