Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Scoop on Poop

If you are squeamish about poop and puke, do not read any further.

Please consider yourself warned.

Last week, the baby and I had the stomach flu. I have never had to deal with a baby having the stomach flu before. A never got it as a baby, only as a toddler. I could never have imagined what it would be like.

All was quiet on Wednesday night when I put M to bed. At 11:45pm my husband woke me up with, "Nancy! Get in here now!" The baby had puked. And puked. And puked. For hours, in her bed. She's been sleeping in a pack n play since we are between houses. I don't know how much you know about pack n plays, but their matresses are NOT waterproof in any way. Thankfully, I had the insight two nights before to add a waterproof layer to 95% of the mattress. That doesn't mean she didn't nail the 5% of unprotected mattress, but it did help.

She had puke caked in her hair, in her pajamas, along her face, in the wrinkles of her fingers, etc. It was horrible. C jumped in the shower with her while I put together clean pajamas and cleaned the bed as much as I could. We decided to set up camp in the basement so that I could be near the bathroom there and somewhat secluded from the rest of the family.

I'd love to say that it stopped there, but it didn't.

M proceded to puke every 30-45 minutes all night. I started with lower unit malfunction about an hour into my night. Needless to say, I didn't sleep much. By morning, M was done puking and we spent the day drowsing on the pull-out couch/bed. M had a fever and wanted to do little besides sleep.

That evening, we both felt tired, but fairly well. I put M to bed in her own room and retired for the night in my own bed. An hour later, I woke, my heart racing, my stomach gurgling. Yup, I was no where NEAR done with the flu. Or is it that the flu was nowhere near done with me? I spent the night puking every 30-45 minutes, accompanied by the ever-fun watery bowels.

By dawn I was exhausted. I had not slept in over 36 hours. I had lost every iota of liquid my body could spare because while I had been puking and pooping, I had also been nursing and not keeping any fresh liquids down. I have to say, nursing while puking is NOT fun.

Of course, the baby woke at her usual 5:30am that day and because she had been sick and daddy had not, I got to take her and care for her that day, too. There was no sense in contaminating him.

For the next 24 hours, I thought I was recovering. I was dead tired, but I thought I was done. WRONG! Embarrassingly enough, I got the runs in the middle of the night and although it wasn't a big issue, I did change the sheets at 2am. I never knew I could poo in my sleep. When I woke the next morning, I returned to the queasy, watery bowel state that had occupied me for so many days already. I was so tired that after three rounds in the bathroom, I passed out on the basement couch and didn't wake for 2 hours.

We, M and I, are largely well now. Neither one of us is back up to full appetite, but we're moving and shaking with the best of them. I'm still living in abject fear that A or C will come down with this bug. After all, the stomach flu virus can be contagious for up to two weeks after symptoms disappear.

I wouldn't wish this one on ANYONE. In fact, I told C that I'd rather go through childbirth again than that flu. I meant it. Every last word.

No comments: