Friday, February 19, 2010

The Cleanout Continues

I know that someday I'll look back on this part of my life and say, "How strong I was!" At least, that's what I like to believe. It helps me keep afloat when I start to actually think about the complexities of life as I live it right now. Two homes, two children, one husband, two careers to worry about, living in someone else's home and working on clearing the estate while also keeping our own belongings separate enough that nothing of ours ends up in the discards pile.

This past week we started working on the master suite in the house. We moved the baby and about 60% of our boxed belongings into the room we had been sleeping in and took over the master bedroom. We then started on the master bath. We quickly stopped again. We now know what 13 years worth of not cleaning your bathroom looks like. Ick.

We moved on to the closet. It's amazing what you can find in a closet. Truly amazing. Thankfully, there was only one pile of underwear to deal with. Some of the offerings to be had in our closet adventure:

  • empty plastic bags, probably about 5o of them. Various sizes, most clear.
  • three boxes of random sewing supplies, including scraps from pantlegs that had been cut off for hemming and two pairs of pinking shears.
  • holiday giftwrap and bags, ribbons and tags
  • more pairs of black capris than you can shake a stick at
  • brand new clothing bought in the 70s, tags still attached
  • a vintage Air Force uniform cap
  • thermapacks for muscle pain
  • random cough drops and used tissues
  • an assortment of space-saver hanger devices that belongs in a museum somewhere

I really hope that when my time comes to have my belongings sorted by someone else that I don't have quite so many... unused items!

No comments: