Monday, March 16, 2009

Parenting, Times Two

There are a number of things I have learned since my younger daughter was born. I've decided to write them down and post them here, just in case my sleep-starved brain forgets them.

1. I was spoiled before I had children. Spoiled ROTTEN.

2. I was spoiled when I had only one child. Spoiled ROTTEN.

3. Having children really kills your personal interactions with your spouse. This may seem like a "duh" but really, it bears stating. It's not that it's so hard to find a small chunk of time for some one-on-one time. Both kids are in bed by 10pm and neither is up for the day before 6am. That leaves 8 full hours without children. BUT are those eight hours going to contain even one minute in which both parents are awake, feeling well, and reasonably clean? Not likely. One of us is always losing sleep, or fighting a cold, or hasn't showered in so long they can't even stand their own smell. And let's face it- sometimes eating dinner is more of a draw than a little nookie.

4. Eating warm foods warm and cold foods cold is highly overrated.

5. Wearing clean clothes is a luxury. For a family of four I do at least 6 loads a week, plus 3 loads of diaper laundry. If it's not stained or smelly, put it back in your dresser because I'm not washing it! Oh, and if you have daughters, you sort laundry into darks, whites, ans pinks.

6. When one child sleeps through the night, the other won't. It doesn't matter how old they are. Both will not sleep through the night. It just won't happen.


I'm sure I will learn a lot more along the way and need to update my list with new entries. Life is nothing if not a learning experience!

3 comments:

Steph said...

goodness gracious-- whatever do parents get themselves into?? is it a lot harder than you thought it would be? i've been thinking of you lots lately!

3palermosplusone said...

I so agree! I don't even drink my coffee hot anymore! If I get to it before it gets ice cold, I'm having a good day. :)

sherilaugh said...

I spent the first year of joey's life wondering what the hell I was thinking having a second child..... One was NICE!!

So. If your kids are anything like mine it should get better in about another 10 months :)

Light at the end of a very long tunnel ;)