Sunday, January 11, 2009

This Week's Culinary Experiment

For Christmas, one of my mothers-in-law gifted me with a yogurt-maker. I love the thing. A eats homemade yogurt every morning for breakfast and I rest assured that her yogurt is free of all of the nasty additives that come with commercially-produced yogurt.

I, however, have been yogurtless since discovering (or rather rediscovering) my milk allergy 5 years ago. I just can't hack soy yogurts. I tried acquiring a taste for Silk soy yogurt, since I love all of the other Silk products, but after a week of eating Silk soy yogurt, I gave up.

This week I was informed that Turtle Mountain was selling a coconut milk based yogurt. Coconut milk? I could happily eat coconut milk! I can't imagine that tasting bad! I thought I'd stop at Willy or Whole Foods and pick some up to try, but being 8+ months pregnant and having a toddler and husband to manage, I haven't been able to make a trip out to the specialty markets.

SO, I decided to make my own. After searching online I found out that making coconut yogurt was as simple as making the real deal with the exception of having to add a bit of honey or sugar to feed the bacteria. Easy peasy!

Yesterday morning I set up the yogurt-maker and let it run. Coconut milk yogurt is supposed to incubate for 10 hours, but at 10 hours, my yogurt wasn't anywhere NEAR set, so I let it go another 2 hours. In retrospect, I probably should have stopped it at 10 hours, but it's by no means ruined.

In fact, it's delicious! It's a bit sour, but very coconutty! I cant' wait to put it into a pineapple banana orange smoothie this afternoon! It's a bit runny but tastes fabulous!!!!!

I highly recommend the experiment to anyone else with dairy issue. It's truly yogurty!


*******UPDATE!********

The smoothie was fantastic. I will totally do that again. YUM!!!!

1 comment:

Blogger said...

3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

The meaning of this is that you actually get rid of fat by eating Coconut Fats (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 researches from major medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!