Saturday, January 17, 2009

Fish Hats

Lately, I've been really into knitting. I think it has a lot to do with being physically exhausted at the end of the day but still having a lot of mental and creative energy. I can handle sitting on the couch, watching TV, talking to C, and knitting, but getting up and doing something is almost beyond me. LOL.

Right before Christmas, I decided to make A a new hat. I came across a pattern for fish hats on knitty. They are fantastic! So, I started knitting one.

C claimed it as his right away. "Can you finish it tonight so that I can wear it tomorrow?"

So, I made A a second one.

Now, neither of them wears the fish hat. Sigh. I still think they're a lot of fun.
Photobucket

I've also been trying to knit C a hat for wearing around the house. The first one was made with some great yarn I found on clearance at the local yarn shop. It's a wonderful yarn both to work with and to see knit up. I love the colors and patterns. Too bad the hat was too small. Here it is on Abby.

Photobucket

We gave this one to our friend B.

I knit up a second one in a larger size, but it still was too small, so C won't wear it. Anyone want a hat?

6 comments:

3palermosplusone said...

Your fish hats are awesome!

cerstin said...

Hi,
I too love these hats! But I have been trying to get my head (or needles) around this Wrap and Turn thing. I do know how to do short row knitting with socks, but with this pattern, the stitche you have in the middle are increasing, not decreasing. Do you know what I mean?
Do you by any chance know of a link explaining these "long rows"? I have no idea with this how to pick up the wrapped stitches, so I wont show.
It's infuriating and I am about to throw my knitting in the corner...
:0(
I like your blog! Will go and explore some more!!
Cerstin

Steph said...

those fish hats are *amazing*! too cute! why does C not wear his?

Blister said...

I knew other people wore hats around the house!--Jenny thinks I'm some sort of crazy bag lady.

TheCraftyQueen said...

Cerstin, I would highly recommend checking out www.knittinghelp.com for help with your short and long rows. Their videos are excellent and available for both continental and English style knitting. For the first hat I did wrapped rows and didn't pick up the wraps, just as the pattern directed. I was not pleased with the look so on the second hat I did pick up the wraps and liked it much better. Good luck!!!

TheCraftyQueen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.